Tuesday 14 April 2015

Final Evaluation Question 2:


How does your media products represent particular social groups?




















When I first started my magazine I wanted to create a RnB magazine and it was targeted at 16-21 year old. But as I finished my research I realised that I wanted to include Hip-Hop as well in my magazine, while I was doing my research. I then changed my target audience by adding Hip-Hip as well as RnB this is because as I listen to both, I think that they are sort of similar and many people would listen to both. I wanted to make sure that type combination of RnB and Hip-Hop would fit and attract my target audience of 16-21 year old which are members of the Hip-Hop/RnB genre and social groups. Knowing what type of audience I am aiming at makes it easier to design my magazine around them. This is because as I fit into this genre and social group I know what sort of content is relevant in terms of the magazine. Also some of my research was carries out on a website called UK Tribes; this website gives information on a wide range of social groups which youth members fit in from indie/rock to Hip-Hop. One UK Tribe that stood out was DIYers which are part of a bigger group called the 'Leading Edge' they do everything music and even make beats in 'their bed room studios.' This means that they are always on the latest beast and music trends in the Hip-Hop world. The research describes them as 'motivated, proactive, influenced and resourceful.'

From this research I will make sure that in my magazine I encourage the readers to be Influenced and be motivated by the content in the magazine by being having content which is inspirational. By choosing 'Dev the Producer,' I will be encouraging and inspiring the readers as he used to be like the DIYers social group making and listening to music all the time. I feel like this is appropriate as he would be nothing without his fans, and also because he was inspired to do this. The way that Dev dresses is similar to their style as they he likes to wear black sweatshirts with grey joggers and just likes to 'chill.' This all represents my target group as they are minimal and don't like to stand out as much but want to be heard. My artist 'Dev' is 19 years old and I am comparing him to is Earl Sweatshirt he is 21, and an American rapper-producer and member of the Los Angeles-based hip hop collective Odd Future. As you can see I have dressed my artist in more monotone colours like JME, this allows the readers and the social group familiarise themselves with the cover artist as this is how they usually dress. By using the monotone colours it gives it more of a neutral look, and also more of a professional and cleaner look. A difference which I made to set my magazine apart from the rest is that my artist is pulling a face which isn't 'normal' in magazine as they have a photo of the artist posing or looking at something. The reason why I did this is because it sets itself apart from the rest of the magazines as it is unusual and uncommon. Styling my artist the way Hip-Hop and RnB artist dress in all black, allows audiences to familiarize themselves to the magazine as it they are used to it as it is 'normal' for them to see artist dressed like this. Throughout my magazine I have also represented by social group in my article as I have dressed him up using very simple monotone colours and typical clothing which Artist would wear like branded clothing. This would allow the readers to be familiar with the content and therefore would attract customers. By what the artists on the cover and, contents page and double page spread wear, their look and they way they speak ( through the interview) all represents the social group as this is 'typically' how they would do it with all of their individual touches which they like. I think that as a HIP HOP/RnB magazine people will know what genre of music the magazine just by looking at the cover.

1 comment:

  1. Good so far.
    Think about the following:
    The social groups are represented via the type of artists featured on the contents page and the style (tone, register) of the article that you have written. Also consider how the style of the magazine as a whole represents the intended social group.

    ReplyDelete